Monday 16 March 2015

Week 2 - Goal Setting

I already had many goals and I’ve succeeded on achieving some of them and some didn’t work out as well. SMART goal concept was the new understanding which took place on last week’s academic literacy classes. This significant method of identifying a goal, I hadn’t realized in my previous goal setting.

 The letters SMART means Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time bound. This criteria clearly shows the most important strategies which a goal should consist. As the great American philanthropist Elbert Hubbard say "Many people fail in life, not for lack of ability or brains or even courage, but simply because they have never organized their energies around a goal". (Haughey 2014) This makes me realize that when setting up an academic goal I should be more specific about my goal.

According to this SMART criteria I set up a language learning goal for myself in last week. That is getting a HD for Academic Literacy end of this semester so that I can proceed to diploma level successfully. Here are some of the strategies that I have taken when accomplishing my task.
  • ·          Have to obtain more than 80% in every assessment task.
  • ·         Get help from Mrs Ayami Tennekoon.
  • ·         Identify my errors in writing and develop them.
  • ·         Use the library and internet as the sources of information.
  • ·         Revise all the work done in each week.











Haughey, D 2014, Smart goals, Project Smart, viewed 16 March 2015, <http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/smart-goals.php>.


Wadwhani, C 2013, Explaining how to set smart goals, 7 October, viewed 16 March 2015, <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6o5PyJM3bY>.





No comments:

Post a Comment